Monday, September 10, 2018

Do Author Visits Matter?

Each year I've been a librarian, I had authors visit my school. It is not an easy event. Paperwork is detailed. Checks must be processed. There are schedules juggled and made. Promotion around the school and to the students is a time consuming, exhausting endeavor. I have extreme jitters on the day the author arrives. Does the author have what he or she needs? Will the microphone work perfectly? Will the students behave appropriately? Have I prepared them well enough for proper questions? It is quite the task. Why do we librarians take on such an ordeal? Do author visits even matter? 


Why have author visits?

There is something magical about a student meeting and getting the autograph of the author that wrote one of his or her favorite books. Even now as an adult, I am still awestruck when I meet one of my favorite children's authors. They are real people just like me! Students get to see that and realize that they too can be an author. Hearing the authors speak of being children and not loving writing and editing in school always amazes the audience. Their eyebrows knowingly go up while they nod their heads. They know then that even authors dislike that portion of their writing, and yet they do it. In this way, author visits not only encourage reading but writing!

After a visit, students are so excited to come in and check out that author's books! They've written to authors after a visit because now they know the authors are accessible. They prize that signed book they purchased! Students speak about the visits long after the author has gone. 

Here at Lobit, we have three author visits already scheduled for our campus. I think there will be one more as well. Remember, our goal here in the library to match students with that book that turns them into a lifelong reader! Pairing them with an author they can relate to is a step in that direction. Although having these visits can be overwhelming and difficult, there is nothing like it! I can't imagine not having authors. Here's to authors and all the joy they bring us!

No comments:

Post a Comment