Thursday, August 23, 2018

That Breakthrough Book


It was in third grade when I discovered Nancy Drew. I decided to give reading one more chance with a book I had gotten from my school library. Although I was a skilled reader, I really did not enjoy the act of reading until I opened the cover of The Secret of the Old Clock- the first book of the Nancy Drew series. My life changed in that moment. I had found my book, my series, a character I loved and admired. I became obsessed with the series and then mysteries in general and then just books.

Books, books, and more books filled my life and became my greatest enjoyment, friends almost. The characters are real to me. The settings are places to which I literarily go. Their adventures are my adventures, and their risks are mine safely taken. 

We want Lobit Library to be the place that offers THAT book to your child. Our mission is to help every student find his or her breakthrough book. What was your breakthrough book? Please share! I would love to do a lesson on this with your children. Please let us know what book turned you into the reader you are today! 

1 comment:

  1. Breakthrough books are a very interesting idea. I never had one, as I was a Cradle Reader.

    ReplyDelete