Monday, August 6, 2018

What Makes a Great Library?

Image result for books

I inhale deeply as I unbox the new books awaiting me on my circulation desk. Nothing compares to that new-page smell. The slick covers and intact bindings entice me to smooth my hand across the titles. I love new-book days! Sometimes, these are the best days. As I shelve them, I wonder are these what make a great library? 

Of course, a great library MUST have a balanced collection of relevant current books students are passionate about and beloved classics. From Captain Underpants to Charlotte's web, books are the library. But, can well-stocked shelves alone create the place students long to be? Is the magic of a library conjured only from within the leaves of its many volumes?

As a school librarian, I say there is so much more! Library sponsored author visits, book fairs at family nights, special events such as comic cons and story concerts, celebrating nationally-recognized days like Poem in Your Pocket Day and Hour of Code infuse the school with library love and highlight the vital roles a library and librarian play in the school community. 


What can we do more to make Lobit Education Village Library the place you want to be?


Check out this blog throughout the year to keep up with all the magical things taking place right here at the LEV Library! 





No comments:

Post a Comment